Can’t Grow Grass in My Backyard—What to Do?
You might be having a hard time getting your grass to grow. This can be very frustrating. Maybe you’re struggling to find a solution to the problem. Luckily, growing grass in your backyard can be easy if you take the right steps. It’s important to be patient and know when to call for help.
Let’s take a look at why grass doesn’t always grow well and a few of the options you have for fixing it.
Common Problems with Growing Grass
There are a number of different factors that can influence how and if your grass grows. Figuring out the cause of the problem can help you resolve it.
If you are attempting to grow grass for the first time by using grass seed, you will want to be sure to plant the seed at the right time. According to Elite Horticulture, which provides landscaping services in Auburn WA, grass seed grows best in August. This is because the soil is warm and not too wet. If you plant grass seed in the spring, the weather could be too chilly and rainy for any grass growth to begin.
If you have existing grass that just isn’t growing, a few things could be happening. Here are some of the most common issues:
- Lack of sunlight: Check around your yard to make sure your grass isn’t being shaded by anything. For example, a large umbrella could be unintentionally covering part of your lawn.
- Lack of water: If you live in a dry, warm climate, your grass might be suffering. It’s a good idea to water your grass in the cooler mornings and evenings.
- Too much water: If you’ve been getting a lot of rain, your grass’s roots might be losing oxygen.
- Crabgrass: Crabgrass is a weed that can cause soil erosion. You can use corn gluten meal in these areas to help with the erosion. You can also set your mower deck to 3.5 inches to prevent crabgrass from growing.
- Thin or patchy grass: If your grass is growing in patches or is very thin, the soil could be lacking nutrients. You can combat this by restoring those nutrients. Get a soil test done to figure out what needs to change. You can then buy a lawn care product with those nutrients.
Watering Your Lawn
As mentioned, water can be a tricky factor for growing grass. Too much water can kill grass, but not enough can do the same. There isn’t much you can do about the rain. Luckily, you can install proper drainage to prevent flooding.
Most lawns need about one inch of water on a weekly basis. It’s a good idea to water the lawn a couple times per week instead of every day. This helps with maintaining and growing healthy grass. For best results, you should water in the morning. Be sure to keep an eye on the weather. You don’t want to self-water right before it rains.
Products for Growing Grass
One of the most common solutions to grass not growing is fertilizer. You can find this at home improvement and big box stores. According to Lowe’s, fertilizer works to promote growth and replaces nutrients.
Use fertilizers and other lawn products with caution. Some of them are dangerous for children and pets. Always read the packaging before using them.
Hiring Someone to Help with Growing Grass
There are plenty of professionals who help people with growing grass. You can easily find someone by using a website like Angie’s List. You can also ask your friends and neighbors for referrals.
Somebody from a professional service will evaluate your grass before giving you a price estimate. Once they have a good idea of what’s going on, they can figure out what products and services are needed to treat the problem.
Generally, the company will set up a schedule to treat your lawn issue. They might come out every week or every month. It depends on the company, the products being used, and the condition of your lawn.
You may see results within a few days or it might take a couple of weeks. This depends on how your lawn is being treated and the overall problem. Check with the company you are using to see if they offer a guarantee. Some people use lawn care services on a regular basis. Others choose to use it temporarily or as needed.
Getting your grass to grow doesn’t have to be a huge problem. There are ways to identify the issue and to begin treating it. You have the option to work on your lawn on your own or to hire someone. Professionals are more equipped to help with grass growth, but you can use a handful of methods by yourself.