My Key Broke in Half, What Do I Do?
No matter if it is a house key, car key, or key to a safe, when a key breaks it will leave you feeling completely clueless as to how to enter or operate what the key requires. Not all hope is lost though. There are some ways to resolve the situation at hand. Precision Locksmiths, my local locksmiths in Melbourne, have detailed some of the steps you can take below.
The Car Key Broke
If it is your car key that broke in half, you may be a bit stranded. You may have to call a tow truck, and no one wants that bill. There are a couple of things that you can do when your car key breaks in half. If you have both pieces, check out the information on how to fix it in this section.
Call the Dealership
No one likes calling the dealership. Well, better put, no one likes buying things from the dealership. Let’s face it, things can get pricey. However, you can bet that you will be getting the exact parts you need. You can call the dealership and ask for a replacement key and explain the situation. They may need some info such as the VIN number.
Rest assured that you will be getting a key that works. This may take some time. Try to come up with other accommodations for transportation in the meantime.
Temporary transportation could be:
● A bus
● A taxi
● An Uber
● Family or friends (make sure you give them some gas money for the trip)
Super Glue It
One way to temporarily fix a broken car key is to super glue it together. You have to be really careful when doing so though. You don’t want the key to break off in the ignition or door. If you live in a safe neighborhood, you could always leave the key in the ignition and turn off gently until the replacement comes in.
Call a Locksmith
Locksmiths are not just for homes. You can call a locksmith to get into your car. If you lose a key or your key breaks in half, then you can call a locksmith. They will come to you and make you another key right away. It is important to make sure they have programmable chips for the newer cars.
Keys without chips for newer cars are completely useless. You will not be able to start your car unless the chip is programmed. This can get a bit pricey. It is a quick way to get a replacement though.
You can find information about what locksmiths can do at the Master Locksmiths Association.
What If Your Key Breaks in the Door?
Certainly, besides panicking, there are other ways to fix the situation. It may seem like you now have no point of access with half your key in hand and the other half in the keyhole. There is hope! Some tools are available on the market. Not everyone has those on hand though.
Ways to Remove a Broken Key from a Lock
● Purchase a key extractor tool. These work well. However, it will require some effort. Some people have used a hair clip to remove the broken key. Simply place the bobby pin into the lock and then pull the broken half out.
● You can drill the key out. This is a last resort method. It is not highly recommended because it can ruin the lock.
● Remove the lock. If you can remove the lock, then do so and try to tap the underside. Sometimes the key will fall out just from the use of gravity.
● Super glue.This was listed above as an effective method. You can remove the broken key by putting just a small dab on the end of your key then placing it firmly in the lock. Hold it for 15 seconds or so. Then you should be able to pull the broken key out.
You can find out more information on what to do when a key is stuck at BobVila.com.
Can You Prevent Your Key from Breaking?
Yes, you certainly can prevent it on most occasions. Sometimes it just happens though. It is always good to have a spare key on hand just in case. You don’t want to be stuck without an extra set. You can check out some ways to prevent it in the next section.
Ways to Prevent Your Key from Breaking
● Lubricate your locks
● Replace old keys
● Be careful when using locks in cold weather
Sometimes even with the best prevention, keys can still break. It is not a fun thing to go through. Just know that there are people you can call if it does happen. A locksmith is very handy and can help resolve a lot of these issues. Feel free to check out this YouTube video for more information.