What Causes an Air Conditioner to Break Down?
When it is hot outside, an air conditioner is essential in keeping the home cool and comfortable. What happens when the air conditioner goes out and quits working? Not only will the home get hot quickly, it will be highly uncomfortable. Check out some of the ways air conditions go bad and how to prevent the ones it is possible to prevent.
The Different Kinds of Air Conditioner Breakdowns
There are several different types of breakdowns when it comes to air conditioners. Some of the ways an air conditioner breaks down are preventable. However, there are times when it is not preventable but rather inevitable. Check out some of these ways below and see if there is anything you can do to prolong the life of your air conditioner.
Not Using the Air Conditioner Right Can Cause It to Break Down
According to the Chicago HVAC Repair Doctor, who offers HVAC repair service in Chicago, one way people damage their air conditioner is by using your air conditioner when the outside temperature is cold can cause the air conditioner to break down. The cold will cause some serious damage to the working parts of the air conditioner. That is not the only way you can improperly use it though. Check out some other ways below.
Ways to damage your air conditioner by using it wrong:
- Using your air conditioner while it is cold outside.
- Running the air conditioner at very low temperatures. This can cause the air conditioner to overheat and overwork itself. It is good to set air conditioner at 70 degrees or higher. You can set it lower, but it tends to overwork the air conditioner and its components.
- Cooling a room too big for the air conditioner. Running the air conditioner that is not rated for the size of the room or home can cause it to overwork itself. This can cause unnecessary wear and tear on the air conditioner.
Lack of Upkeep Can Cause It to Quit Working
In order for something to stay in shape, it must be maintained. That goes for our bodies and so much more. The same can be true for material items. Air conditioners are on that list too. So, it stands to reason that when the maintenance is lacking, it will fail. It is extremely important to maintain your air conditioner.
Lack of maintenance can cause an air conditioner to quit working. Make sure that the air conditioner is kept up with by checking and doing some of these simple steps:
- Clean out the air conditioner regularly. Debris, dirt, and many other things can get into the air conditioner, causing it not to work properly. By cleaning your air conditioner out regularly, you are prolonging its life. It will cause it to perform much better as well.
- Check the hoses. Sometimes hoses can get holes in them. It is good to have your air conditioner inspected to make sure it is running properly. You can have this done with the regular cleaning.
- Check the wires. Just like the hoses, wires need to be checked when doing the regular cleaning. Outdoor rodents can get in there and try to cause damage. It is good to inspect it regularly.
Actual Damage to the Air Conditioner
Sometimes accidents can happen. They cannot always be prevented. When physical damage happens to the air conditioner, it can cause some of the parts to malfunction. It is important to repair the air conditioner before the internal parts begin to break down, even if it appears to only be the outer shell.
If damage has occurred, it is important to have the air conditioner looked at as soon as possible to have the damage fixed and make sure there is not any other hidden damage to the air conditioner.
Some Things Are Not Preventable
Sometimes there are things that are not preventable. The older the air conditioner gets, the more likely it will start to break down. This is inevitable. All machines have a limit on how long they will last. However, by keeping up with the maintenance of the machine it will have a long life. By taking care of your air conditioner, it will perform better in old age. Parts will eventually need to be replaced over time though.
As you can see, there are some things that are preventable. However, sometimes things just tend to break down. With some of these simple tips above, you can have a great running air conditioner for many years to come. You can check out this YouTube video for more information.