What Are Pontoon Boats Used for?
A great way to spend a hot sunny day is on a boat. A fun option for boating activities are pontoon boats, but exactly what are pontoon boats used for? This article will provide you with some examples of activities that can be done with pontoon boats as well as certain safety precautions that should be taken.
What is a Pontoon Boat?
According to Wikipedia, a pontoon boat is a relatively flat boat that uses pontoons to float. Pontoons are metal tubes placed under a deck that makes it buoyant. Although the boat can be powered by paddles or oars, they mostly use electric motors.
In the past, pontoon boats were much slower, but these days, we can see some that have up to 900 horsepower. They also come in many designs and sizes depending on what a person is looking for. They can have bars, lounging areas, and sun decks. They can be very simple designs or more luxurious depending on what the use will be.
What Are Pontoon Boats Used For?
Invented in 1952, pontoon boats are used as ferries to cross rivers and lakes all over the world, but mostly in Africa. According to Boats.com, pontoon boat sales have risen by more than 48% in 2015. This is due to a rise in the number of people that like to use boats for leisure activities with friends and family.
Companies such as Fast Boat Rentals allow you to rent these boats (they do Miami pontoon rentals), with or without a captain depending on personal experience. Here are some suggested activities to be done with these pontoon boat rentals:
- Pack your fishing rods and get out on the water with some friends. Using a pontoon boat for fishing can be a great idea. You can bring the boat where you would like, anchor up and fish the day away.
- Pack a picnic and have a family day. Hop aboard a pontoon boat with your family, bring some food and drinks and enjoy the day. After enjoying the food, company and taking time to relax you can even have a dip in the water to cool off.
- Have a party. A lot of pontoon boats have a bar on them which make them a perfect spot for a party with friends. You can enjoy the beautiful sunshine on the water, have a few drinks and even go for a swim.
- Take part in watersports. Although more power and gas are needed for these activities, pontoon boats are great for water-skiing, tubing, and wakeboarding.
- Cruise around and admire the scenery. When there is water, there are usually nice homes, cottages, and properties on the shore. You can use a pontoon boat to cruise around the water admiring these.
- Catch some dolphins. If you are lucky enough to be in a body of water that has dolphins, you can use a pontoon boat to go look at them in their natural habitats.
Safety Tips for Pontoon Boats
Pontoon boating can be a lot of fun, but as with other water activities, safety precautions must be taken.
Safety Equipment: Laws state that when on any type of boat, you should have a properly fitting life vest for every person on the boat. Other equipment you should have are a fire extinguisher, flares, first-aid kit, throwable floatation device, paddles, and an anchor.
Know how it handles: Before going out, the person who will be steering the boat needs to know how it handles. It is not the same as traditional boats, so this is an important factor to remember before going out. Be aware of what to do in adverse weather conditions as well. Videos can help you learn the basics of how to drive a pontoon boat.
Act responsibly: it is known that pontoon boats are often used for partying and these can be a lot of fun. However, certain safety precautions need to be taken to ensure everyone’s safety.
- As when you are driving a car, always have a designated driver for the pontoon boat; someone who will not be drinking.
- Don’t go too fast. The urge to excite people by going fast can be tempting, but it is important to know and respect the legal speed limit as well as how fast the pontoon boat is designed to go.
- Check the forecast before heading out. Avoid going out if major weather disturbances are being predicted.
- When using it to pull people for waterskiing, tubing or wakeboarding know the limit of weight that can be pulled with your specific pontoon boat.
Pontoon boats are a great way to enjoy a nice day in the sun with family and friends. Many were designed for parties with bars and lots of places to move around. They can be used for many fun activities but remember to always ensure everybody’s safety while on the boat.